Lets get Started!

These are the basic steps to get your business started.

Please note: There are other layers of business that need to be happening simultaneously, such as setting up books, product costing, packaging and labels, distribution and sales.

If you need assistance with any of the above please see our Consulting Services page.

1. Create your business: business registration, sales tax, name and logo, etc. (NO SOLE PROPRIETORS; You must be a Business entity like a LLC or S-corp).

2. Click the link below to read the regulatory guidance from the Oklahoma City County Health Department.

3. Read Rules and Policies page and Submit the "I agree" button at the bottom of the page.

4. Submit the First Application to reserve space at E3K. Once you submit your 1st application to E3k, we will send you the "pre-operational document" needed for the health department and a cheat sheet to help you fill it out.

5. Email the appropriate inspector the following information:

a. Completed the pre-operational document for the health dept (List E3K in any facility questions)
b. Sales Tax permit
c. Labels, if applicable
d. Provide brief summary of where you are in getting started

e. List your questions
f. Request time frame

example: My name is John Smith with ABC Cookie Company. I want to sell my cookies at festivals and markets. I have my sales tax permit, pre-operational document, label design ready for approval and am interested in using E3K as my production facility.

I have a few questions: Can I sell my cookies out of a display case without packaging or do all my cookies need to be in a package? I would like to be producing in three weeks, is that possible?
Please respond with any additional tasks I need to complete before scheduling a time to obtain my license.

Thank you for your time.

​Attached is my sales tax permit, label layout and pre-operational document for approval.

Oklahoma City/County Health Department

Jacob Custer



6. Obtain Product Liability Insurance E3K must be listed as additional insured and you must list a mailing address different than the facility address for your mail to be sent. Product Liability is required! Spoilage, Loss or any other insurance is suggested, but not required.

Here are 2 insurance companies that deal with Food Product liability Insurance.

(Home and Auto insurers usually look at Product Liability Insurance as specialty insurance and charge extra)

When the health inspector tells you that "you are ready"
7. Fill out the Final Application and pay $25 application fee via PayPal.

Once we receive your final application we will email you the contract for review and send your deposit invoice (equal to 3 months rent) and your first months rent invoice.
8. Review Contract and pay invoices.
9. Schedule a time to sign the contract and meet health department. (We will coordinate between you and health department to arrange a time.)

10. Meet with your inspector to obtain your license.

11. Obtain your City License.

12. Display your license in kitchen.

13. Schedule your time on the online calendar.

14. Start production.

Welcome to the E3k Community!